The Hon. Rao Bahadur G. Srinivasa Rao
Rao Bahadur G. Srinivasa Rao was a lawyer with extensive practice who at the same time found it possible to do a great deal of public service.
Graduating from the Government College, Kumbakonam, he studied for Law and while yet very young he settled in Madure, where he slowly built up a large clientele. Not content with his work in the profession, he entered the Municipal Council and on account of his easy grasp of Municipal problems soon became the Chairman, in which position he introduced many wholesome reforms.
Srinivasa Rao was not only the first citizen of Madura but closely connected with every institution which laboured, directly or indirectly, for the good of the public. In the pre-reform days he was an elected member of the Madras Legislative Council and did substantial service to his countrymen in that capacity.
As a non-official who gave of his best for the public cause, the Government gave him the title of “Rao Bahadur”. He was also held in high esteem in official circles. This is why successive Governors and Members of Council called at his residence whenever they visited Madura – a fact which is commemorated by means of suitable stone tablets in his house in West Tower Street, near the famous Sri Meenakshi Temple.
Srinivasa Rao had the honour of an invitation for the Delhi Durbar; he also went to England for the festivities in connection with the Coronation of His Majesty King George V and Queen Mary in 1911; and expressed himself as very much impressed with all that he saw there.
He died full of years and honours. His eldest son M.S. Jambuswami Rao is now the Agent of the Madura Branch of the Indian Bank Ltd. He is a consistent supporter of the M.E.F.